Netflix is an American entertainment company founded by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph on August 29, 1997. It specializes in and offering streaming media and video-on-demand online and DVD by mail. They are the leading global internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV shows with nearly 93 million memberships in over 190 countries as of January 2018.
The Netflix Australia library contains thousands of movies and TV series available to stream instantly via your computer or mobile device plus you can also access additional exclusive content only available on the Australian version of Netflix.
Back in September 2016, Netflix introduced a new pricing structure that included a basic plan for AU$8.99 per month allowing users to watch standard definition (SD) content on one screen at a time.
Users are given the choice of one high-definition (HD) stream for an additional AU$2 per month or up to four simultaneous high-definition streams at a time for $14.99 per month which is billed as a Netflix Premium plan.
If you’re not keen on paying more then you can still get your favorite movies and TV shows in basic definition (SD) only with the Basic Plan at A$8.99 but, it will allow you access to less titles than the higher plans.
Netflix Australia Student Discount
As of January 2018, students receive discounts on all streaming plans at Netflix Australia except for the basic plan unless they verify their student status which allows them to access significantly more titles than Basic plan users plus viewing on four screens at once.
Verify Student Identity
In order to verify your student status, you’ll need a .edu email address from any of the universities and colleges in Australia including:
- Australian National University (ANU)
- University of Technology Sydney (UTS) – Sydney NSW 2000, Australia.
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT University) – Melbourne Victoria 3000 Australia.
- Bond University – Robina QLD 4229, Australia.
- Griffith College – Gold Coast QLD 4215, Australia.
- Victorian College of the Arts (VCA) – Southbank VIC 3006, Australia.
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane Campus QLD 4000, Australia.
- The Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS), – North Sydney NSW 2059, Australia.
- University of Adelaide – City East Campus SA 5005, Australia.
Once you have access to the Netflix AU Student Discount, refer a friend and get an extra 6 months free on both plans which means you’ll be paying just $4.99/month for HD streaming or $8.99 per month for four screens at once plus standard definition (SD) basic plan video quality.
If you’re looking for more information on how to get the best entertainment experience possible with your subscription then check out this post with all the latest news about Netflix Australia including what’s new original TV shows and movies set to premiere soon in 2018 which includes Altered Carbon, The Crown and House of Cards.
If you get the Netflix Student Discount through your university email address then share this article with a friend who can also get access to nearly double the amount of titles on their subscription at no extra cost plus you’ll both get 6 months for free!
How to Get Netflix Student Australia Account Free?
The fastest, easiest, and guaranteed way to get a free Netflix account is to have a friend that already has one share their link with you.
However, it might be hard to find someone in time before the offer expires so if that’s not an option for you there are a few things you can try instead:
- First of all, don’t worry because even though the method below doesn’t work all the time it usually comes through without much trouble. However, if this fails then use the 1st method from above so your friend can share their link with you.
- Clear cookies from your web browser by going to settings > privacy & security > clear browsing data > choose what to clear > Cached images and files (this may take ~20min).
- Open a new incognito/private browser window and try the first method (see above).
- For speed, try using a private VPN like Cyberghost or hide.me which you can download for free on your computer or mobile device depending on what you need to use it with. These options will make it appear as if you’re coming from another country like the USA so some streaming sites (Netflix included) allow new users from these countries access even though they may not be available in that particular country. If you still have trouble then keep reading below.
- You can also give ExpressVPN a try which offers over 90 countries and over 148 server locations worldwide plus it has awesome apps for all devices including your Android phone/tablet, iPhone/iPad, or PC.
- Another option is to try NordVPN which has similar features but it’s even cheaper with special deals like 75% off for two years (works out only $2.75/mo).
- You could also try Tunnelbear VPN which offers 500MB of free data every month plus unlimited data for Canada and the US plus it’s easy to use on any device including your computer, tablet, or smartphone including iPhones and iPads without jailbreaking them first.
- Not all Netflix content is available in the USA so if you’re trying to access a title that isn’t showing up then play around with these options above before asking for help since they might be able to fix the issue for you.
There are a lot of VPNs out there but most of them will only work if you have enough speed or bandwidth to stream in HD with at least 1.5Mbps so check these numbers first before buying a plan with your provider which may not be suitable with Netflix depending on what country you’re in. If you don’t know how much speed you have then used a device like this one from Amazon that’s just $9 and shows all the vital details about your network including upload/download speeds, download limits, and more!
To sum up, Netflix is offering their Student Discount just for the next couple of months or so that gives new members 6 free months at half the price which saves you $11.95 per month!
If you’re already a student then be sure to share this article with any friends who can get access to nearly double the amount of content on their existing subscription using one of the methods stated above even if they currently have an account or not because it’s also possible to stack accounts meaning only 1 person needs to have an active paid membership for everyone else’s a free trial to work.